Friday, June 8, 2012

Neon; noble gas or noble trend?


It seems like every where I turn, I get the sneaking suspicion that the 80s are back! Well, at least when it comes to fashion trends.

One of my favorites is the burst of color that has flashed back into our lives in the form of neon. Neon made a return to the catwalk last fall and winter during the Spring/Summer fashion week shows.


The neon craze of the 1980s is most often associated with graffiti, street wear, ravers and other trends that you might cringe at the thought of. However, trust me when I say, neon is back with a much more sophisticated flair!
I am especially excited about how the neon pieces that I have recently added to my wardrobe, will look with the bronze glow that I hope to acquire this summer! But don't fret, even if you are not one to bask in the sun's rays, there are certainly elements of this trend that are for everyone!

When it comes to neon, remember that there are subtle ways to incorporate this trend without looking like a glow-stick. Here are some to keep in mind:

1. Bracelets, belts, or a clutch are a great way to incorporated neon in a subtle yet sophisticated way
2. Minimalist make up allows you to bring in some of the playful elements of the trend without looking like you're giving Cyndi Lauper a run for her money.
3. Don't wear all the trends (or pieces) together at once! Think a flash of the 80s versus Material Girl!
For those who are perhaps uncomfortable with the boldness of this trend, I recommend adding one or two staple pieces in the form of accessories.

Ann Taylor Bracelet $89


Ann Taylor Loft has a variety of pieces to accessorize your outfit, from bracelets, to shoes, and clutches.
I love this bangle which could be pieced with a black pencil skirt and black blouse to add a fresh hint of this trend, allowing you to work the trend into your office wardrobe.













Illamasqua in Smash $14






Drugstores and higher end department stores all carry a variety of neon nail polishes for those who would rather a more subtle splash of the 80s. You can also find a lipstick or a gloss to get your neon fix!












Mease 56 by ALDO $80












My most recent neon purchase was these amazing pink puppies from ALDO. I LOVE them! So far I have only worn them with a little black dress have brainstormed a number of other outfits that I plan on pairing them with including jeans and a tank, and miniskirts.
















Always remember that you are the best judge of what works for you. Like many other fashion trends, this one is about confidence, which comes from being comfortable with what you're wearing. So find what works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment